Monday, February 28, 2011

The Skinny on Snow

On the days that I ride I wake up around 5 ish am. Monday mornings can sometimes be a little brutal. This one was no exception as I stepped outside to walk the dogs and discovered a skiff of snow on the ground.  This may cause schoolchildren to dance and cheer but to a cycling commuter its a death sentence.  Last night I had diligently set out all the necessary supplies to ride this morning so I was mentally prepared for the trip. I decided to brave it anyways but switched to using my mountain bike for one main reason, skinny tires on snow is a no-no. I have a fellow commuter that has studded tires for his bike, but his bike is one of those comfort touring bikes not a former race bike.  I always forget that riding my mountain bike not only takes longer because it doesn't cruise along as well, but it gives me much more of a workout!  The bike trail  still had chunks of snow and ice on it this morning and at one point I had to get off and walk. Anyone who knows me well, knows I hate to push my bike. But pushing was better then a broken arm or leg! By the time I arrived at work big fluffy flakes were falling at a regular rate. Within a few hours, the snow had turned to rain and once again the promise of spring is just around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment