Friday, April 1, 2011

Commuters Abroad

I haven't been neglectful of my blog....I've actually been gone. My sister and I took my dad on a trip for his 75th birthday to Honduras where we worked with Maranatha on a school building and also held medical/dental clinics and VBS. 

Other countries have such a different view of transportation then we do here in the US. While most Americans would never dream of riding a bike or bus to work I think we are an exception. Everywhere I looked in Honduras people were commuting. Whether it be by walking, catching a taxi or bus, or by riding a bike.





In town you would see groups of people like this just rolling down the streets...competing with the cars for right of way.

Speaking of right of way...



Something cool I saw was designated bike lanes...I thought this happened only in places like Portland, OR where biking is hip!  Nope! In Honduras they had some biking only mini roadways on the side of the main roads.  But alas, while this looks like a good idea...its really ride at your own peril...they are crazy crazy drivers of any vehicle and I have to admit that I now feel safer riding my bike in town at home then anywhere in that country!

And I think the next time I feel like I'm pulling to much weight on my bike I'll think of this guy...




I think they were headed to recycling...at least I can only hope!

I have to admit though that my most fun form of commuting came unexpectedly on the last Friday there....our translator offered to take us to the beach...via her pick up truck....



I think the last time I rode like this was on my aunt and uncles farm in eastern Washington when I was 10. While definitely not a safe way to travel, it is by far one of the most popular in many foreign countries!

No comments:

Post a Comment